Can sayings be trademarked?
Common words and phrases can be trademarked if the person or company seeking the trademark can demonstrate that the phrase has acquired a distinctive secondary meaning apart from its original meaning. That secondary meaning must be one that identifies the phrase with a particular good or service.
Can you copyright a phrase or saying?
Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks.
How do I trademark my own quote?
How to Trademark a Slogan
- Go to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) website.
- Check the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) database. Make sure the slogan isn’t already registered in the same category.
- Submit your trademark application. Pay the filing fee.
How much does it cost to get a phrase trademarked?
If you have ever asked yourself how much does it cost to trademark a phrase, according to the current fee schedule on the USPTO, trademark registration fees cost $275 per mark per class. If you need an attorney’s assistance, the cost averages around $1,000 to $2,000.
What words Cannot be trademarked?
What Can’t Be Trademarked?
- Proper names or likenesses without consent from the person.
- Generic terms, phrases, or the like.
- Government symbols or insignia.
- Vulgar or disparaging words or phrases.
- The likeness of a U.S. President, former or current.
- Immoral, deceptive, or scandalous words or symbols.
- Sounds or short motifs.
When can a phrase not be trademarked?
Reasons To Not Trademark a Phrase
You need to be the only business in your class using your phrase. Otherwise, the USPTO will probably reject your application. A trademark identifies the source of a product. If your phrase describes a product or service, it won’t be approved for trademark protection.
How do you tell if a phrase is trademarked?
You can search all applied-for and registered trademarks free of charge by using the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)‘s Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS). If your mark includes a design element, you will have to search it by using a design code.
Can you trademark a phrase on a T shirt?
If your T-shirt design has symbols, words, or other marks that uniquely distinguish it from other T-shirts on the market you can obtain a trademark to protect your design from others who might wish to capitalize on your intellectual property.
How do I trademark a name for free?
You can not register a trademark for free. However, you can establish something known as a “common law trademark” for free, simply by opening for business. The benefit of relying on common law trademark rights is that it’s free, and you don’t need to do any specific work filling out forms, etc.
What are the best inspirational quotes?
Famous Motivational Quotes
- “Try not to become a man of success, but rather become a man of value.” – Albert Einstein.
- “A winner is a dreamer who never gives up.” – Nelson Mandela.
- “If you don’t have a competitive advantage, don’t compete.” – Jack Welch.
Is logo a trademark?
Generally, logos and designs that are used as brand identities for representing businesses are protected as trademarks. As they are original artistic works that have an element of creativity, they are also protected as copyrights.