How do you describe a symbol in literature?
A symbol is something that stands for or suggests something else; it represents something beyond literal meaning. In literature, a symbol can be a word, object, action, character, or concept that embodies and evokes a range of additional meaning and significance.
What is an example of a symbol in literature?
However, symbols can also take the form of words, images, colors, or actions. (For example, the cross is a symbol of Christianity; the red stripes in the American flag represent courage and valor.) Symbols can also be found in just about every form of art: in our favorite songs, in films, and of course, in literature.
How do you write a symbol?
How to Write Symbol
- Start with some abstract idea that you want to write about.
- Then think about what characters or images might “stand in” for that idea. Example. …
- Once you’ve created this symbolic character, remember that whatever happens to the character becomes a message about the idea.
What are the symbols in writing?
Symbolism is a literary device that uses symbols, be they words, people, marks, locations, or abstract ideas to represent something beyond the literal meaning. The concept of symbolism is not confined to works of literature: symbols inhabit every corner of our daily life.
What are 5 examples of symbolism?
Examples of Symbolism:
- White-peace; surrender.
- Red-love (in some cultures, red means other things)
- Fire-knowledge; passion.
What are the symbols called?
This table contains special characters.
|Symbol||Name of the Symbol||Similar glyphs or related concepts|
|⟨ ⟩||Angle brackets||Bracket, Parenthesis, Greater-than sign, Less-than sign|
|‘ ‘||Apostrophe||Quotation mark, Guillemet, Prime, foot (unit), minute|
What are symbols in a poem?
A symbol is a person, object, place, event, or action that suggests more than its literal meaning. … Whereas conventional symbols are used in poetry to convey tone and meaning, contextual or literary symbols reflect the internal state of mind of the speaker as revealed through the images.
How do you use symbols in a sentence?
All GM products carry an identifying symbol.
- Mandela became a symbol of the anti-apartheid struggle.
- The cross is the symbol of Christianity.
- Dragon is regarded as a symbol of power.
- A heart shape is the symbol of love.
- Rosy cheeks are a symbol of good health.