How do you show a decision in a flowchart?
Traditional flowcharts use a diamond symbol to represent a decision. There are three inherent problems with this: A decision symbol immediately introduces two directions of information flow, breaking the left-to-right rule and making the flowchart more difficult to follow.
What are the 5 symbols used in a flowchart design?
5 Basic Flowchart Symbols
- The Oval or Pill Shape – represents the start/end.
- The Rectangle Shape – represents a process.
- The Parallelogram Shape – represents the input/output of the information.
- The Diamond Shape – represents a decision.
- The Arrow Shape – represents the flow of the sequence.