What are some examples of allusions?
Common Examples of Allusion in Everyday Speech
- His smile is like kryptonite to me. …
- She felt like she had a golden ticket. …
- That guy is young, scrappy, and hungry. …
- I wish I could just click my heels. …
- If I’m not home by midnight, my car might turn into a pumpkin. …
- She smiles like a Cheshire cat.
What qualifies as an allusion?
Allusion, in literature, an implied or indirect reference to a person, event, or thing or to a part of another text. Most allusions are based on the assumption that there is a body of knowledge that is shared by the author and the reader and that therefore the reader will understand the author’s referent.
What is an example of symbolism?
When a symbol (like a heart) is used to symbolize something (like love), that’s a real-world example of what symbolism is. … Any time an object or an element of an object is used to convey meaning beyond its literal purpose, that object or element is an example of symbolism.
What is an example of a literary allusion?
The verb form of “allusion” is “to allude.” So alluding to something is the same thing as making an allusion to it. For example: You’re acting like such a Scrooge! Alluding to Dickens’s A Christmas Carol, this line means that the person is being miserly and selfish, just like the character Scrooge from the story.
What is a good sentence for allusion?
1. She was made uncomfortable by his veiled allusion to the previous night. 2. The committee made no allusion to the former President in its report.
What is an allusion sentence?
Definition of Allusion. a statement that refers to something indirectly; an indirect reference. Examples of Allusion in a sentence. 1. The author’s new book contains an allusion to mythological gods.
What is an example of biblical allusion?
“This place is like a Garden of Eden.” The Garden of Eden was the paradise God made for Adam and Eve. “You are a Solomon when it comes to making decisions.” This refers to the story of King Solomon, who was given great wisdom by God.
What effect does allusion have?
Allusions can give a deeper meaning to a story by referring to another piece of work that most are familiar with. If a character within a story uses an allusion (refers to another piece of work), it can give deeper insight on what kind of person they are.
What are 5 types of allusions?
6 Different Types of Literary Allusions
- Casual reference. An offhand allusion that is not integral to the plot.
- Single reference. The viewer or reader is meant to infer the connection between the work at hand and the allusion.
- Self-reference. …
- Corrective allusion. …
- Apparent reference. …
- Multiple references or conflation.